Friday, October 23, 2015

Springfield Trip

I was lucky enough to chaperon Patrick's 4th grade class trip to historic Springfield, IL.  We had a day with Lincoln.  Here we are on the bus.

First stop, Lincoln's Tomb in Oak Ridge Cemetery.


We both rubbed Lincoln's nose for good luck.


Here is a model of what would become the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. 

 Lincoln's Tomb, or at least the part we can see above ground.

Mary and three of the boys are also entombed with the President.  


There were eight other statues of Lincoln in the tomb, this one was my favorite.  He looks like he's praying.

Next stop, the Lincoln home.  They have preserved a couple of blocks around their home so you can get the feel of what life was like for the family.  Patrick had me take pictures of everything, but I'll just share a few.


The parlor.  That is George and Martha Washington hanging over the mantel.

 Dining room.


Sitting room. 

Abe's bedroom.  

Patrick loved the fireplaces and stoves.  

Mary Todd's bedroom.

This was the boys bedroom.


And the hired girl's room.  I think my first bedroom to myself was about the same size.

And the kitchen.  Again, Patrick loved the stove.

 The 4th grade class, behaving.

And being silly.

Our final stop was the Lincoln Museum.  


I don't know what Patrick is doing.

Patrick hanging with the Lincoln family outside the White House.


And me.









It was a long day but well worth it.  Not only did I get to be a history geek, I got to spend the day with just Patrick, something we just don't get to do enough.

No comments:

Where Little Hats Play